To Kuala Or Not To Kuala
Well actually, it’s not the question, because I’m already here. Flew in very early this morning on a surprising pleasant Air Asia flight from Melbourne. I’m in Kuala Lumpur for 3 weeks working on a very exciting theatrical comedy development. My role, is Technical Director, and am looking forward to working alongside Govin Ruben and the Terry & The Cuz Team.
But first let me acknowledge that it has been a mighty long time between posts on this blog, my last almost 7 months ago from Singapore. This has been due to the sheer craziness of my time since then. A quick recap will now follow:
- Flew back to the UK to work on Leeds Festival
- Moved onto Bestival in the Isle of White
- Ran away in my awesome Volvo (Tony) to Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany (for 4 hours), Austria (for a night in a shack), Italy, Switzerland and France
- Just made it back to England to fly back to Australia
- Worked on three shows at Melbourne International Arts Festival (Stage Crew, Stage Manager, Artist liaison)
- Ran around crazily try to catch The Amazing Race Australia (Production Assistant)
- Worked a 100+ hour week at Stereosonic Festival (Site Crew)
- Surprising enjoyed a metal festival called No Sleep Til (Site Crew & Production Assistant)
- Brought in the New Year on one of the best Festival sites I have ever seen at Falls Festival in Marion Bay (Gates Crew)
- Battled through the dust, mud and sinking ground whilst tractor loving at Rainbow Serpent Music Festival (Site Crew)
- Did a bit of Lighting Sculpture consultancy (Shhh, you’ll find out more later)
- Got nicely sunburnt at St Kilda Festival with an amazing bunch of people (and a record crowd) (Site Logistics Crew)
- And some stuff I missed I’m sure.
Anyhoo, I’m here in Bangsar on the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur, enjoying the lovely 32 degree heat and 80% humidity whilst I plod through a CAD design and try and fix some problems that have already arisen. Also multi-tasking setting up emails for the company and fixing some links on the website, ah the life of a nerd & theatre worker, endless skillset.
I’ll be posting a few more updates through the process as we have constant internet supply here at the office and in the theatre which is a nice change from the middle of a field at a music festival.
Hope this post finds everyone well, please let me know what your news is by commenting on this post.